Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Life after Cable Television

Over the course of the past several months, my husband and I have discussed getting rid of our cable television. We had a 12 channel basic cable package, and even though it was only about 11 bucks a month, we figured it would be better for us to have a little extra cash each month and to stop spending so much time in front of the television. Any by us, I mean me, since I have a famously disgusting addiction to television and my husband hates it.

I thought it was going to be extremely difficult for me to give up television. In the morning I love watching The View and Martha Stewart. Anytime I'm home during the afternoon I watch court T.V. (Judy and Judge Hatchett are my favorites). I also love watching COPS in the evening. Let me just acknowledge that I don't consider any of these programs (with the possible exception of Martha) to be quality programming. I'm actually pretty embarrassed that these shows have become a regular part of my viewing schedule. Nevertheless, I tuned in faithfully each week, eagerly anticipating the little dose of drama they provided my life.

I predicted that giving up television would lead me to feel disconnected from the world and to regret that I could not tune in to my favorite shows. I couldn't have been more wrong. Since I'm not watching T.V., I'm not watching previews of upcoming shows or "coming up next" advertisements. I have absolutely no idea about what's going on in TV land, so I don't feel left out. I also feel more connected to the world around me than ever before. I've been listening to N.P.R. every time I'm feeling lonely at home, and I am cherishing the opportunity to listen to interesting interviews and hear up to date news.

So long, cable. We had a lot of good times, but I'm much healthier and happier without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment