Thursday, June 3, 2010

New Foster Animals: Stanley and Gunther


I've had Stanley and Gunther for about three weeks now. I've been pretty quiet about them up until now because, well, I guess I just have been having a hard time getting a good read on them. This is complicated by the fact that they are outrageously under-socialized and the last pair of female rats that I fostered were very outgoing. These guys are happy to just lounge about in their cage all day. I'll open the door and they won't come out for exercise.

They are definitely coming along, though. They are much friendlier now than when I first got them. Stanley used to try to wedge himself under his exercise wheel when I would open the door to feed them He was terrified of my hands. They both still hate to be picked up, but they do run to the cage door to beg for treats now. They also perk up when they hear the front door opening because they know I'm coming home and will want to give them some attention.

As much relative progress as I've seen, I'm still concerned that they are too shy to attract an adopter. I really hope that someone who understands rats will come along. All they need is a little love and time.

5 comments:

  1. wow, his eyes are intense! i had no idea there were people out there who fostered rats. seems like you take very good care of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's a relatively new venture for my humane society. I have fostered rabbits, rats, ferrets, and guinea pigs for them (not all at the same time of course!).

    I think most people don't realize that humane societies have adoptable small mammals, let alone fostering programs to rehabilitate them and help them become adoptable.

    Maybe with education and time people will start looking for small mammals at shelters before going to places like Petco and Petsmart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you'll find a good home for Stanley and Gunther. In the meantime, they are so lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think our local humane society had hedgehogs you could adopt. it was so tempting, but i feel bad adopting an animal when we aren't home much these days. except for cats. we're thinking of getting a pair, so they can keep each other company, and probably won't even notice/care that we are gone. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelli,
    Hedgehogs are so adorable! You're right, though. Caged animals do need to be let out very frequently so they can be mentally stimulated. That's very responsible of you to recognize that you may not be home enough to do a good job of caring for one of those little guys.

    That's awesome that you're thinking of getting a pair of cats! I work at my local humane society as a cat adoption counselor, and that's what I always advise people who like to getaway and won't be home as much.

    Good luck with your potential family growth. :)

    ReplyDelete